Usually made from brisket and shank, beef broth goes well with most foods. For the best flavor use only fresh or very recently frozen beef.
- When cooking with more than 1/2lb of beef, soak the beef in water for 1 hour to draw out the blood.
- When the beef is less than 1/2lb, clean off the blood with cotton cloth.
- Place the beef in a large enough pot, cover with clean water, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium or medium low and cook until meat is well done, skimming as needed to remove fat and foam.
- When the beef is well-done, remove it from the pot and strain the broth through cotton cloths.
For most Korean traditional uses, the broth is ready at this point. For a heavier heartier broth you may return the broth to the pot and continue cooking until it reaches your desired intensity.
The beef may be served as pressed meat, or shredded into soup.