Are you the kind of person who doesn’t like leftovers? Do you usually convince yourself you’re not going to reheat that container in your next meal and, instead, set off to a new preparation? After reading this, you will never want to get rid of that leftover rice.
The first batch of rice you make, a hot steamy rice-based dish, is delicious for anyone who likes this versatile element. Now, not many people know what to do with their leftovers and mixing rice and shrimp is quite a simple, yet delightful option.
Next time you have some rice left, put it in an airtight container, take it to the fridge and get it ready for your next meal, here’s how!
Many options, only two secrets
Fried rice can be actually made from a handful of ingredients combined. The possibility of mixing ingredients knows no limits but your own taste. What is the key then for a perfect fried rice?
First, leftover rice is much better for this recipe than fresh rice because the latter tends to be mushy. Instead, leftovers got a chance to dry out and get firmer, that makes it perfect for the frying technique. To carry out the process correctly, just make sure the pan you use is hot enough. Of course, this doesn’t mean you should burn the ingredients. Just keep an eye on your saucepan and you’ll be fine.
Another secret is to fry everything separately. Many people think fried rice could be done more quickly if they just throw everything together in the skillet. However, this can mess up the flavor as everything will be mixed. A nice fried rice will consist of a mixture of texture, flavors and colors. You’ll have the opportunity to experience each of them separately.
Even though there are plenty of ways to make this a vegan or vegetarian treat, here you will find your way through a classic shrimp fried rice. At the same time you’re suggested to use leftover rice, you’re also suggested to go to your local seafood store and get some fresh shrimps!
As for the rice, you can use any type of rice. Nonetheless, Jasmine rice could give this dish that extra flavor factor thanks to the natural fragrance of this specific type.Try this simple recipe out and let us know what you think and what else you would like to add to it!
- 2 cups of jasmine rice.
- 2 cups of deveined shrimps.
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 eggs.
- 1 onion.
- 1 red bell pepper.
- 1 cup of snow peas.
- 1 cup of frozen peas.
- Soy sauce to taste.
- 2 green onions.
- As you’ll be using Jasmine rice, use only a cup of water for every cup of rice. You can do this a day in advance to take it to the fridge until the moment of cooking the rest of the recipe.
- Take a big saucepan and preheat it with a tablespoon of olive oil over low heat.
- In the meantime and in a separate bowl, beat two eggs and season them with some salt and pepper. Take it to the skillet and turn the heat to medium.
- Scramble the eggs and cook for a couple of minutes. Once they are done, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Prepare the onion and the red bell pepper. Wash, peel and chop them up. Take them to the same skillet and salt everything. Cook for a couple of minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the snow peas and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the shrimps and stir-fry them until they are almost done, golden.
- Always in the same pan, bring back the rice and give everything a gentle stir so the rice heats up.
- Add the frozen peas and pour some soy sauce all over the mix. Stir gently and cook for five more minutes until the shrimps are fully cooked and the rice hot enough.
- Once done, turn the heat off and garnish everything with some previously washed and chopped green onions.
Feel free to add the vegetables that you like and experiment with this easy recipe!