This salad is one of the ancient Korean ways of fixing fresh leaf lettuce..
1 head leaf lettuce (red or green top)
20 each Perilla/wild sesame leaves (kkaennip 깻잎)
20 each crown daisy leaves (ssukgat 쑥갓)
1 each Asian pear (approximately 12 ounces)
3 cloves clove garlic
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon clear rice wine (cheongju 청주)
1 tablespoon doenjang (Korean bean paste)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon gochugaru (Korean hot red pepper powder)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Yuja juice (Asian Citron 유자 – Substitute lemon or lime juice)
1 tablespoon mul yeot (Korean malt syrup 물엿)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 each regular green onion
1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
1 each Hot green pepper
1 each Hot red pepper
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Place the sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium to medium low heat and slowly toast until lightly browned.
- Mince the garlic.
- Fine chop the green onion.
- Place the garlic, sesame oil, and doenjang in a large bowl, mix well, and let stand about five minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Dressing may now be refrigerated for use at serving time.
- Tear the lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Cut the kkaenip into narrow strips.
- Cut the ssukgat into bite size pieces.
- Slice the Asian Pear into medium slices (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick), then cut each slice into narrow strips.
- Place the pine nuts in a dry pan over medium to medium low heat and slowly toast until lightly browned.
- Remove stem from the peppers, rinse in cold water, then cut in half from top to bottom.
- Slice each half into thin “threads” from top to bottom.
Place the greens into a large bowl and gently toss.
Drizzle with dressing, and gently toss again.
Add pear strips and toss once more.
Divide into serving bowls and sprinkle with garnish.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Serving size: About 5 ounces.
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (53%) 61.82
Calories From Protein (10%) 12.11
Calories From Carbohydrates (36%) 42.36
Calories From Alcohol (1%) 1.32
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.31g 11%
Saturated Fat 1.08g 5%
Monounsaturated Fat 2.68g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.09g
Trans Fatty Acids 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 239.64mg 10%
Potassium 434.49mg 12%
Total Carbohydrates 11.36g 4%
Fiber 4.15g 17%
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Net Carbohydrates 7.21g
Protein 3.82g 8%
Vitamin A 3424.19IU 68%
Vitamin C 30.07mg 50%
Calcium 103.89mg 10%
Iron 1.87mg 10%
Vitamin E 1.14mg 11%
Vitamin D 0IU 0%
Thiamin 0.21mg 14%
Riboflavin 0.17mg 10%
Niacin 1.39mg 7%
Vitamin B6 0.21mg 11%
Folate 104.68mcg 26%
Vitamin B12 0mcg 0%
Pantothenic Acid 0.28mg 3%
Vitamin K 222.96mcg 279%
Phosphorus 70.25mg 7%
Magnesium 52.58mg 13%
Zinc 0.81mg 5%
Copper 0.23mg 12%
Manganese 0.84mg 42%
Selenium 1.18mcg 2%
Water 83.34g 0%