The earthy flavor of mushrooms combined with semi sweet sesame and garlic flavored beef make for a truly delicious side dish or snack. Most often served on holidays like Chuseok (Harvest/Thanksgiving) and Seollal (New Years Day), beoseot jeon can be enjoyed any time when fresh mushrooms are available. In Korea these are usually made with Pyogo (표고/Shiitake) mushrooms, but any rounded stem and cap mushroom can be used.
24 medium to large mushrooms
4 ounces beef (your favorite cut)
2 ounces soft or medium tofu
2 tablespoons flour
1 each egg
oil for frying
- Beef Seasoning
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs mul yeot (substitute honey, sugar, or brown sugar)
- 1 green or spring onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sesame paste*
- *Sesame Paste
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Dipping Sauce
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs vinegar
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp medium ground dried red chili pepper
Partially freeze the beef (place into freezer until firm) for easier cutting.
- Heat a small dry pan (no oil) over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons (Total amount used in this recipe) sesame seeds.
- Toast until light golden brown, shaking the pan often to ensure even toasting.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Crush 1 tablespoon of the toasted sesame seeds to a pulp, add the sesame oil, and mix into a paste.
- Crush or mince the garlic.
- Mince the green onion.
- Mix all seasoning ingredients together in a medium bowl and let stand for ten minutes.
Remove the beef from the freezer and cut into thin slices/strips, then thoroughly mince.
Mash the tofu.
Remove the stems from the mushrooms and mince them.
Add beef, stems, and tofu to the seasoning mix and mix well.
Let stand ten minutes.
Very lightly dust the interior of the mushroom caps with flour, then fill with stuffing mix.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and let stand ten to fifteen minutes.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Add cooking oil.
- Dust filled mushroom caps with flour, dip in egg, and place into pan in a single layer, stuffing side down.
- Fry until golden brown (about two minutes), turn and cook for another one to two minutes.
- Repeat until done.
Serve warm with dipping sauce.