The earthy flavor of mushrooms combined with semi sweet sesame and garlic flavored beef make for a truly delicious side dish or snack. Most often served on holidays like Chuseok (Harvest/Thanksgiving) and Seollal (New Years Day), beoseot jeon can be enjoyed any time when fresh mushrooms are available. In Korea these are usually made with Pyogo (표고/Shiitake) mushrooms, but any rounded stem and cap mushroom can be used.
24 medium to large mushrooms
4 ounces beef (your favorite cut)
2 ounces soft or medium tofu
2 tablespoons flour
1 each egg
oil for frying
- Beef Seasoning
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs mul yeot (substitute honey, sugar, or brown sugar)
- 1 green or spring onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sesame paste*
- *Sesame Paste
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Dipping Sauce
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 Tbs vinegar
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp medium ground dried red chili pepper
- Heat a small dry pan (no oil) over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons (Total amount used in this recipe) sesame seeds.
- Toast until light golden brown, shaking the pan often to ensure even toasting.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Crush 1 tablespoon of the toasted sesame seeds to a pulp, add the sesame oil, and mix into a paste.
- Crush or mince the garlic.
- Mince the green onion.
- Mix all seasoning ingredients together in a medium bowl and let stand for ten minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and let stand ten to fifteen minutes.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Add cooking oil.
- Dust filled mushroom caps with flour, dip in egg, and place into pan in a single layer, stuffing side down.
- Fry until golden brown (about two minutes), turn and cook for another one to two minutes.
- Repeat until done.