This recipe is one version of Bossam (Wrapped) Kimchi, a type of kimchi that is very popular throughout Korea.
3 heads Napa Cabbage (about 6 pounds)
1 cup salt
- 1 Asian (Nashi) pear (about 10 ounces)
- 1 medium Daikon radish (about 2 pounds)
- 1 bunch Asian chives (about 1 ounce)(Substitute common chives if not available)
- 1 bunch leaf mustard (about 2 ounces)(gai choy, chinese mustard, chinese mustard cabbage)
- 1 medium Yellow onion
- 1 pound shrimp (31 to 40 size)
- 3 ounces fresh ginger
- 1 head garlic (16 to 20 cloves)
- 3/4 cup medium ground pure chili pepper
- 1/4 cup fine ground pure chili pepper
- 6 fresh red chili peppers (about 3.5 ounces)
- 1 cup Korean salted shrimp paste
- 1 leek (substitute 2 or 3 large green onions)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 10 chestnuts
- Cut the cabbage in half from top to bottom.
- Rinse halved cabbage well in cold water, carefully lifting and rinsing between leaves, then drain.
- Place the cabbage in a large container and sprinkle with salt, being sure to lift and salt between leaves.
- Let stand about 5 hours, turning every half hour.
- Asian Pear
- Peel the pear, remove the core, and cut into quarters.
- Thick shred or slice (julienne) 3 of the sections into thin strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long.
- Set the fourth section aside
- Wash (peel if needed) the daikon in cold water.
- Cut in half lengthwise, then cut each section in half lengthwise.
- Thick shred or slice (julienne) into thin strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long.
- Ginger, Chestnuts, Garlic,
- Peel and fine shred the ginger.
- Peel and thin slice chestnuts.
- Thin slice all but 6 of the garlic cloves, then sliver. Set the 6 cloves aside
- Remove stem from chili peppers.
- Set 2 peppers aside, then cut the remaining peppers in half and sliver each section.
- Rinse the leaf mustard in cold water, then cut into about 1 inch long pieces.
- Trim root and any discolored leaves from leek (green onions).
- Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 1 inch long sections.
- Sliver each section.
- Thin slice the mushrooms.
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp if needed, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Soak in salted water (3 tablespoons salt/3 cups water) for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Bring a pot of water to a full boil.
- Drop a small batch of shrimp into the pot and cook for about 30 seconds (until pink), remove from water with a straining spoon, and rinse immediately in cold water. Repeat until all shrimp is cooked.
Rinse cabbage thoroughly in cold running water.
Remove and discard root (solid) portion from each cabbage half.
Remove heart (small interior leaves) and set aside.
Separate larger leaves (cut largest leaves in half lengthwise) and drain well.
Cut the onion in quarters and place in a blender, adding the reserved pear section, garlic clove, red chili peppers, and cabbage heart.
Add just enough water to blend into a smooth paste.
Mix all filling ingredients, including blended paste, in a large mixing bowl.
Place one to two tablespoons filling on each leaf(less filling on smaller leaves, more filling on larger).
Close leaves around filling, forming a “ball”.
Place the “balls” into a large seal able container and cover.
Let stand at room temperature for about 24 hours, then refrigerate.
Kimchi will be ready to serve in three to four days.
Serve with steamed rice and any Korean main dish.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Serving size: About 2 ounces.
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (28%) 12.83
Calories From Protein (25%) 11.46
Calories From Carbohydrates (46%) 20.74
Calories From Alcohol (0%) 0
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.53g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.25g 1%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.54g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.63g
Trans Fatty Acids 0g
Cholesterol 13.81mg 5%
Sodium 1043.98mg 43%
Potassium 143.08mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 5.36g 2%
Fiber 0.85g 3%
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Net Carbohydrates 4.51g
Protein 3.04g 6%
Vitamin A 307.4IU 6%
Vitamin C 16.62mg 28%
Calcium 33.31mg 3%
Iron 0.65mg 4%
Vitamin E 0.2mg 2%
Vitamin D 0IU
Thiamin 0.05mg 3%
Riboflavin 0.04mg 2%
Niacin 0.53mg 3%
Vitamin B6 0.13mg 7%
Folate 29.04mcg 7%
Vitamin B12 0.11mcg 2%
Pantothenic Acid 0.17mg 2%
Vitamin K 17.51mcg 22%
Phosphorus 28.21mg 3%
Magnesium 17.98mg 4%
Zinc 0.36mg 2%
Copper 0.1mg 5%
Manganese 0.26mg 13%
Selenium 3.58mcg 5%
Water 43.36g 0%