Jeon (Pan-fried Delicacies), are a variety of pan-fried meats, seafood, or vegetables which are usually dredged in four and egg before frying. Daegujeon is one of the more popular varieties of jeon and is often prepared for special occasion meals.
1 pound Cod filets
1 tablespoon neutral flavored cooking oil
- 2 each cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon kkaesoogeum (sesame salt)
- 2 each eggs
- 1 each green onion
- 1 each red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Rinse cod filet in cold running water, then gently dry with paper towel.
- Place the cod in freezer until firm (1 hour or less) for eaze in slicing.
- Thin slice (about 1/8 inch thick) the partially frozen cod and place in a mixing bowl.
- Fine chop (mince) the garlic.
- Add all cod seasoning to the bowl and mix gently, then let stand about ten minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium mixung bowl.
- Trim root and leaf tips from green onion, then rinse in cold water.
- Fine chop (mince) the green onion.
- Remove the stem from the red pepper then rinse in cold water.
- Cut the pepper in half from top to bottom, then very thinnly slice each half cross wise.
- Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl, add green onion and red pepper, and beat until well mixed.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and let stand for at least fifteen minutes to let flavors develop.
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat, then add cooking oil.
- Dredge each slice of the seasoned cod through the flour mix, dip in egg mix, and place in hot pan in a single layer (Do not over crowd the pan).
- Fry until the bottom side is a light golden brown, turn and repeat.
- Place on paper towel to drain.
- Repeat until all slices are cooked.
Serve with dipping sauce as a snack, as part of a banchan array with a Korean meal, or as an interesting side dish.